- Cassiterite (Huge Crystal For Locality)
- Aberfoyle and Storeys Creek mines, Rossarden, Tasmania, Australia
- Small Cabinet, 7.3 x 5.9 x 3.9 cm
- Ex. University of Arizona Mineral Museum
- $6,000.00 Payment Plan Available
This is a huge, sharp crystal, weighing in at over a pound in weight. It is actually complete all around the sides and back, fully terminated. It sits on a natural pedestal of matrix of muscovite and host rock. In normal case light, the tips glimmer with translucency but it is much more translucent when strongly backlit, and glows with an amber color and a tinge of red. This is surely an old piece. We have not seen a larger example. Comes with a special plastic display label indicating this was out on the Museum's display. From the collection of Hubert De Monmonier (1919-2007), donated by bequest to the University of Arizona Museum to add to their displays and to provide specimens for sale to establish an endowment fund for museum operations, in perpetuity.